Prospective International Students
Center for International Exchange TOP > About the Program > International Exchange Program

Applicant Eligibility

In order to apply for the exchange program, you should be nominated by our partner universities. We don’t accept any individual applications submitted by students. We have 5 Faculties and 4 Graduate Schools, and all of them can accept exchange students. Students applying to the following faculties must have a certain score of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT).

FacultyJLPT level
School of EngineeringN3 or above
Graduate School of EngineeringN3 or above (not required but highly desirable)
School of Regional Design
 Department of Community DesignN3 or above
 Department of Architecture and Urban DesignN3 or above
 Department of Civil Engineering and Regional DesignN4 or above
*Since School of Regional Design just launched in 2016,
we can host exchange students only in limited grade. Please contact us for further information.

Required Documents

All the materials must be written in Japanese or English. If any document is written in any other language, you should attach a Japanese or English translation.
Application materials must be submitted via mail by partner universities, not by students.
  1. Application for Admission
  2. Photo Mount for Student Registration
  3. Recommendation letter from the President of your home university
  4. Official transcript
  5. Certificate of enrollment
  6. Certificate of Health
  7. Application for Certificate of Eligibility
    *It consists of 3 sheets.
  8. Affidavit of Sponsorship
  9. Bank certificate of your sponsor
    *For 1 year, at least ¥1,000,000 is desirable.
  10. Copy of your passport ID page
  11. Application for Residence
  12. Copy of JLPT result
    *For applicants to the School of Engineering or Graduate School of Engineering and to School of Reginal Design, it is essential.
    For other students, it is desirable to submit if you have.

Download documents here

Application Procedure

SemesterApplication PeriodNotification of Acceptance by emailAcceptance Packet sent by
Fall2017Apr.1 – Jun.2Mid JulyLate August
Spring2018Sep.1 – Nov.10Late DecemberLate February
Acceptance Packet includes:
  • ・ Certificate of Admission
  • ・ Certificate of Eligibility (required document for visa application)
  • ・ Welcome Letter
  • ・ Arrival Information Sheet


- Regular courses: Syllabus Search System
Please note that some compulsory courses (for example, First Year Seminar, ESL, Basic Information Processing) may not be available to exchange students.
Also please take a look at Subjects Recommended for International Students for your reference.
- Japanese language courses:
Exchange students are welcome to take Japanese language courses offered by Center for International Exchange. Courses are divided into 3 levels (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced).
You must enroll in at least 7 courses for 1 semester due to requirements of resident status as a student.


Exchange students need to apply for a “student visa.”
When applying for the visa, students need a “certificate of eligibility (CoE)” issued by an immigration bureau in Japan. Documents necessary for obtaining this certificate are included in application documents so that we can apply for it on behalf of students. We send it to your university’s coordinator once it’s issued. It usually takes 1 month or more to be issued.
For further information, please go to: VISA(Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website)


Exchange students live in the international student dormitory, “International House.” You have to submit “Application for Residence” when applying for the program.
- Dormitory type: off-campus accommodation
- Room type: single room
- Deposit: 30,000 yen/year (non-refundable)
- Monthly rent: 6,500 yen (not including utilities)
- (If you need) Beddings-Rental charge: 5,000 yen/year
- No Meal plan


- Health Insurance
You are required to register for the “National Health Insurance (Kokumin Kenko Hoken)” after arriving in Utsunomiya. This national insurance is compulsory for all residents who stay in Japan for more than 3 months. It covers 70% of medical and dental costs. Estimated insurance fee is approximately 2,000 yen per month.
- Personal Accident Insurance for students Pursuing Education and Research (PAS)
All the students of Utsunomiya University are required to purchase the insurance called “PAS.” PAS covers injuries in the event of unexpected accidents during lectures, research activities, school events and so forth. You will pay the insurance fee after you arrive in Utsunomiya (1,340 yen for a year).
- Other insurance
In addition to two insurances above, we strongly recommend to purchase travel/study abroad insurance which covers illness, injuries during free time, rescue expenses and compensatory expenses. You may purchase insurance for international students via Utsunomiya University after arrival.

Tutor System

All exchange students will have their own buddy called “tutor,” who helps with doing homework, teaches Japanese and provides advice on daily life.